Friday, October 12, 2018

The (Un)Clever Monkey! - A tale by Diya

Once there lived a monkey that was so proud of itself. He would never lose an opportunity to show off how clever he is. One day, the weather was so hot that the monkey felt very thirsty. It searched for water everywhere. But then, the scorching heat had dried up all the lakes and pools.

After a long search, the monkey finally found a mud pot which was half-filled with water. The monkey felt half happy as the water was only half full. But then, didn't I say the monkey was clever? Or so he thought about himself. He had an idea, after all, the clever monkey should have read or heard about the thirsty crow story from the past. He looked for pebbles everywhere, but he could only find a big stone.

Well, the crow can't be more clever than me! Poor creature! The crow is weak and can carry only small pebbles. I can lift and carry a big stone instead and in one go I can bring the water to the brim. Its time to show the world how clever and stronger I am. Thinking so, the monkey dropped the stone into the pot. The monkey was expecting that the water would come to the brim and soon it can quench its thirst. Alas, it was only a mud pot! As soon as the monkey dropped the stone, the pot broke and spilled water everywhere.

The hot sun quenched its thirst by drinking the splashed water. The poor monkey was still thinking, "where did I go wrong"? May be I will get another chance to prove myself.


-to be continued with another tale, another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment